About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
I am a single mother of an adult son and a teenage daughter who are my world! I love life and try to make ech day better than the one before. I love to create beautiful things and spend time with my loved ones! I am "designing to make life beautiful"!

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tobacco Twine Designs

Hello, everyone!  I hope you are all having a wonderful, relaxing weekend.  Happy Thanksgiving to my Canada friends!!!  I have had a very productive day today.  I have completed, photographed and listed 5 new candle cozies and a set of 12 thread snowflakes.  All of these items are made from tobacco twine.  Tobacco twine was once used in the harvesting process of tobacco.  It is a 100% cotton twine just a little thicker than the beadspread weight crochet thread you find in craft stores.  Tobacco twine is a little difficult to find now and is quite often used for crocheting, tying garden plants with, etc.  My mama gets our tobacco twine from Delmus Hardware in Goldsboro, NC.  My mama and I use tobacco twine to make beautiful beadspreads (as did my great grandmother).  I look forward to designing more items from tobacco twine.  Check out all my candle cozies and snowflakes in my etsy store:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/simplymelissa  

I am also excited to be working on some hats, scarves, wrist warmers and leg warmers using baby alpaca.  Pictures will come as I complete them. 

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. We just buried my great granny yesterday at 95 years of age. displayed on her casket was a crochet overlay made of tobacco twine. her grandmother had made it for her as a high school graduation gift. I was delighted to see your tobacco twine creations today.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know why tobacco twine was used initially? Was it because of shortages of finer thread?

    ReplyDelete